This blog has moved!

If your browser doesn't automatically redirect you,
please goto JavaCupcake.com.

Don't forget to subscribe to the RSS feed to continue getting post updates!

Thank you for your loyalty and support!

Friday, May 1, 2009

Rhubarb Cupcakes

Rhubarb, what is rhubarb exactly? I've asked myself this dozens of times and to be honest, I still don't have the answer. I asked a bunch of my friends on Twitter and they said it's a tart veggie, but it's used almost like a fruit it pies, jams and muffins and such. *humph* I still don't know about this rhubarb.


So I thought... hmmm, could I do a rhubarb cupcake? I found only TWO recipes for this online... one of which was WAY too complicated. So, I settled on the simpler recipe from Coconut & Lime.

This recipe is a basic vanilla cupcake (very flavorful!!) with chunks of tart rhubarb in it. It's then topped with a marshmallow frosting made with a rhubarb based simple syrup. It's really quite easy to make and the frosting really completes the cupcake!

I brought them to class today and EVERYONE was surprised and delighted that they were made with rhubarb and were a big hit!! They ooooh and awwwwed and said they were delish!! (Especially the frosting!)

See the chunks of rhubarb?? Yummmy!!!

Click image for recipe!


*PS*
My mom emailed me this recipe for a yummy rhubarb recipe. It's not a cupcake, but it still looks good!! I can't wait to try it!

"Crumbly-Topped Rhubarb" by Nancy Jimerson

3 c Young Rhubarb, unpeeled and diced
1T Unbleached Flour
1/2 c Granulated Sugar
1 t Cinnamon
1/8 t Salt
1 T Water
6 T Butter
6 T Unbleached Flour
1/2 c Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
1/2 c Rolled Oats; Quick Cooking Oatmeal

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
In a 10x6x2 in baking dish, combine the first 6 ingredients.
Cream the butter with the flour and brown sugar.
Stir in the oats.
Sprinkle over the rhubarb.
Bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and the top is brown.

7 comments. Add yours here!:

The Farmers Wife said...

Wow, rhubarb cupcakes, that is truely awesomeness right there. I can not wait to try this one. I may have to run out and buy some tomorrow! Thanks for sharing, you are a Pimp McFabulous!

Nancy said...

Excellent. My mother grew rhubarb and we had it fresh every year, mostly in pie!

Anonymous said...

I love love love rhubarb. My granny used to boil it for us as kids.. I am so going to try this!

Wems said...

I had a request for Rhubarb Crumble cupcakes at easter :)
They were all gobbled up in no time so they must have been good LOL

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I LOVE strawberry rhubarb pie so I'm thinking these cupcakes are right up my alley! Hi from SITS!

Housewife Savant said...

You are going to get hundreds of comments all over your blog on this special day.
Everyone will tell you what a SWEET blog it is.
And some of us will politely ask for a glass of milk.

Yum, rhubarb.

Congrats on your fb day.

Michelle said...

My husband would love these!